Three Aid Workers Killed In Boko Haram Attack In Nigeria

0
356

Three aid workers were confirmed killed in a Boko Haram attack in northeast Nigeria, the UN said on Friday, in the latest violence to underscore the jihadists’ enduring threat.

The world body and two security sources initially said four people were killed in the attack in the remote town of Rann on Thursday evening but later revised the death toll.

The attack is a further setback for President Muhammadu Buhari, who has repeatedly said the Boko Haram insurgency has been defeated. The raid comes nearly two weeks after militants abducted 110 girls from a school in the town of Dapchi, some 400 km (250 miles) west of Rann.

Borno state, where Rann is situated, is the epicenter of the Boko Haram insurgency, which aims to create an Islamic state in northeast Nigeria. More than 20,000 people have been killed and some two million forced to leave their homes since 2009.

Two of the aid workers who died were contractors with the International Organization for Migration, working as coordinators at a camp for 55,000 displaced people in Rann, the United Nations said. The third was a doctor employed as a consultant for UNICEF.

“We call on authorities to ensure the perpetrators are brought to justice and account,” Edward Kallon, the U.N. Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, said in a statement.

A U.N. spokeswoman said all the aid workers were Nigerian nationals.

Four soldiers and four police officers were also among the dead, according to the two security reports.

The camp for displaced people in Rann was bombed in an accidental Nigerian Air Force strike last year, killing up to 170 people.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY